History of the RMS Titanic
RMS Titanic was the second of three Olympic class ocean liners constructed at Queen’s Island (Titanic Quarter) in Belfast, N. Ireland by the shipyard Harland and Wolff. Her sister ships were the Olympic and Britannic.
At the time these were the largest ships in the world. To accommodate these massive liners during construction, Harland and Wolff converted three slipways into two larger slipways and added the Arrol Gantry, built by Sir William Arrol & Co.
The gantry was 228 feet high, 270 feet wide and 840 feet long, weighing more than 6,000 tons.
Her keel was laid on March 31st, 1909, 3 months after the keel of the Olympic was laid.
On 15 April 1912 RMS Titanic sunk after striking an iceberg, resulting in the deaths of 1,517 of the 2,223 people on board.